Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2016

Review: Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Carry On
by Rainbow Rowell

Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance
Publication: October 6th, 2015 by St. Martin's Griffin
Format: Hardcover, 522 pages
Source: Own
Connect: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads
Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.

Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story—but far, far more monsters.

I enjoyed reading Raibow Rowell's Fangirl, and had pre-ordered Carry On when I found out that the author was going to write a story about Simon and Baz.

I love Carry On! I do think that the beginning of the book was a bit slow, but everything began to get much more interesting when Baz, Simon's nemesis showed up. The plot was straightforward, but, with a bit twist at the end that I totally wasn't expecting. I am contented with how the story goes and how it ended. But, I wouldn't mind for a sequel just to find out what will happen to Simon next.

Rainbow Rowell was really good with her characters in all her books. The characters in Carry On were brilliant. I love Simon interaction with Penny and Baz. Especially with Baz. I especially love the development with Simon and Baz. There were lots of moments that made me squealed and laughed maniacally, like a crazy fangirl. And then, I would reread a few of the scenes again, because it made me happy.

I have to say that Carry On was not what I had imagined or expected at first, But that didn't mean that I didn't enjoy it. I've been pondering whether to give this book 4 or 5 stars. In the end, I think Carry On deserved 5 stars. I don't really mind if people are comparing Simon with Harry Potter, or saying that Carry On was a fanfiction to Harry Potter. I enjoyed the book, and had fun reading Carry On. I think, that was what matter most. 

P.S: I've participated in Romance Is in the Air Giveaway Hop hosted by Bookhounds, which run from Feb 4 to 14, and listed Carry On by Rainbow Rowell as the prize. You should totally check it out before the giveaway ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...